Virtual Car Discussion Forum
for discussion, help, and design collaboration
» back to Virtual Car
Want to be a posting person? | Profile | Log-in | Lost Password | Active Users | Help | Search

» Welcome Guest: log in | become a person who can post

Virtual Car Discussion Forum
    Download and Installation
        help -
Mark all forum posts as read   [ help ]
» Welcome to Download and Installation «

Topic Jump
<< Back Next >>
Single Page for this topic
Forum moderated by: administrator

Advanced Member

After startup window it writes error message >
'4.0' is not a valid floating point value
and then program does not work at all.

Total Posts: 70 | Joined July 2001 | Posted on: 9:15 am on July 6, 2003 | IP

Advanced Member

Are you loading a saved file when this happens? Sometimes the file can get corrupted if you upload and download it.

Total Posts: 70 | Joined July 2001 | Posted on: 9:45 am on July 14, 2003 | IP

Advanced Member

k

Total Posts: 70 | Joined July 2001 | Posted on: 2:43 am on Sep. 10, 2003 | IP

Advanced Member

Help! I can't use the program because what ever i do it comes out an error window. Give me a solution to this problem!

Total Posts: 70 | Joined July 2001 | Posted on: 3:09 am on Sep. 10, 2003 | IP

Advanced Member

The most likely cause is that there is no default printer defined on your computer.  You can fix this by adding a printer.  You don't need to have an actual printer to do this. From the Start menu, select Start -> Settings --> Printers --> Add printer.

Total Posts: 70 | Joined July 2001 | Posted on: 11:16 am on Sep. 10, 2003 | IP

Advanced Member

I ‘ve just downloaded virtual car 4.03 a and I’m very disappointed: when I open the program it comes out this error message: “’4.0’ is not a valid  floating point value”. Then come out other  error messages when I click something. They say : “I/O error !02”  &  “’0.5’ is not a valid  floating point value”.I’ve tried to solve the problem by adding a new printer, but whith no results. Please give me a solution to this problem!

by        Robbie 72

Total Posts: 70 | Joined July 2001 | Posted on: 6:25 am on Sep. 11, 2003 | IP

Advanced Member

Robbie,

These sound like errors that might occur if you are trying to open a corrupted .vcar file.  Sometimes the file will get corrupted if you upload and download it or if you email it to yourself, depending on the software you use.  We are trying to fix this bug.  In the meantime, try this:

1) Open the .vcar file from within MS Word. You may need to select the "All Files (*.*)" option to see the vcar file.

2) Delete the last blank line in the file.  It is a blank line, not something that has characters in it.

3) Select "Save As...", save the file as Plain Text.

4) When saving, a dialog should pop up that has a checkbox called "Insert line breaks".  Check this box.

5) Reload the file in VCar and it should work.

Total Posts: 70 | Joined July 2001 | Posted on: 12:49 pm on Sep. 11, 2003 | IP

Advanced Member

I just installed Virtual Car 4.1, and when I launch it I get the dreaded “’4.0’ is not a valid  floating point value” error message. When I press the "start designing" button, I get the same kind of error message for 0.5 instead of 4.0.

As far as I know, I don't have any .vcar file that might be corrupted.

At first, I suspected that my Spanish language version of Windows might be expecting a comma instead of a period for floating point numbers, but I suspect some of the other people compalining here have English language installations.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Total Posts: 70 | Joined July 2001 | Posted on: 6:31 am on June 21, 2004 | IP
administrator

Administrator

I think you were right, I was able to duplicate the problem by changing my system settings to expect a comma as the decimal point.  After looking at the code I think this is about the only thing that could have caused the problem.  For now the only way to fix it is to go into the control panel and change your regional settings to expect a period.  I'll see if the code can be changed to account for it.  Thanks,

Mike

Total Posts: 1 | Joined July 2001 | Posted on: 11:29 am on June 22, 2004 | IP

Topic Jump
<< Back Next >>
Single Page for this topic

© 2001-2003 | Our Privacy Statement